Starting out with Mindy, I felt pretty fresh. The socks and shoes change helped a lot, but it was almost like an entirely new run. Mindy, besides helping me with my miles, was doing her long run and checking out a potential loop for her 40 for 40. The loop, just shy of 8 miles, consisted of the Bruiser minus the Island and cutting it short by heading back the Link where Fox West meets up with it.
The first loop went by relatively easily (due in no small part to Mindy's always interesting company). We went back to our cars to refuel. I had been a little worried the day before because it was way warmer and humid. In no way did I want a repeat of bonking. I have since concentrated on hydrating every 2 miles and taking in calories. Fortunately, it wasn't as hot. In fact, it was really good running weather. Sure, we were sweating, but there was also a cool breeze helping with our natural cooling system (yay! for the latent heat of vaporization!).
I introduced Mindy to the Honey Stinger Wafer. I think she liked it as much as I did. They provide an easy, yummy way of taking in calories. Although, I"m thinking that Mindy may be more of a camel than a squirrel; she seems to need very little fluids/fuel!
Heading back out on the next lap, my big toe joints were really painful. In fact, I think they were my only complaint. I guess that's not so bad 18 miles in. I think it was on this loop that we saw the Pileated Woodpecker. Sweet!. I had remembered the camera this time, but the bird was long gone before I had it out. We also stopped at the beaver pond to watch for polliwogs. The water level was way down from the week before. The bridge actually crossed the entire pool.
Somewhere a bit before a mile left to go, I told Mindy she should run ahead. She was still running strong and I was beginning (well, way more than just beginning, actually) to drag. It took a little convincing to get her to go ahead, but, we didn't have far left. It made me happy cause I wanted her to get her run in, too.
Back in the parking lot, I started my refueling routine while Mindy continued up the mountain to make up the mileage to get in her entire 16 miles. When she returned, I was just about set to get in my final miles (just over 5). Where was I going? Not sure. She headed off to E & L's to write her paper while waiting for me to finish (again, how nice is that?!).
Next, the final frontier....
No comments:
Post a Comment